Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Morning After

So the morning after brings up all kinds of negative thoughts....and thoughts that you would NOT associate with my life....well, you would be right.

Today is the morning after the opening day of the World Cup here in South Africa. For anyone who doesn't know which sport I am talking about....like I would have probably had I not been living here....it is soccer.

Growing up in a country (Haiti) where soccer is the national sport, soccer has always been a part of my life and I played (with the boys usually) throughout my childhood. However watching the game was never really big on my list. I sort of just rejoiced if others did.

I have been hearing about the World Cup coming to South Africa in 2010 since I moved here in 2007. The government started building a new transportation system called the GauTrain for Johannesburg. The road works haven't stopped since we moved here. The hotels/B&Bs/motels and even private citizens homes were preparing to welcome guests. Businesses -- small & large -- furiously planned to received customers and revenue, of course! :)

Now I have realized the economic UP potential for South Africa due to so many nations coming here. To a country working to establish itself as a future 1st world leader, the World Cup coming here was an EXTREMELY positive event!

But I don't think I fully realized until yesterday, the full magnitude of what THIS World Cup has the potential to do in South Africa.

Driving from Pretoria to Johannesburg yesterday morning was quite an event. About 10 days ago, the cities finished decorating the highways with flags of all the nations participating that spanned miles/kilometers. That was already exciting....but yesterday a new excitement hit me. Hitting a bit of traffic where the highways merge, the cars began to slow down. That's when I heard the sound that is not only synonymous with soccer in South Africa, but with South Africa as a nation: THE VUVUZELAS.

So, not to be left out....of course!.....I pull out MY own vuvuzela, conveniently in the back seat and begin blowing out the window (oh, by the way, Arno was driving!). Other passengers in cars/taxis blowing their vuvuzelas smiled and waved to me....it was such an exciting feeling.

Now for any of you who do or have EVER lived in any city, you know that you do NOT, especially as a woman, just wave at strange men....but there was no hesitance in people's hearts or spirits......In that moment, that is when it hit me....the significance for this nation, for this season, for this time.....the unity of the people!


In 1995, when South Africa won the World Cup for Rugby, it changed the face of this nation and turned the tide from the potential civil war that most certainly would have been a reality.


Now the FIFA World Cup 2010, is bringing to the nation of South Africa a level of cross-cultural togetherness that will cause the world to stand up and take notice. In fact, I think one day, world leaders will come here to take NOTES....

In both situations, a sport seems to have brought this rather uncanny spirit of unity. Nelson Mandela said when questionned about his dogmatic support for rugby (a pre-dominately WHITE sport at that time) in 1994/1995 that this was not a political calculation but a HUMAN calculation.

I stand in awe of our God today. We often see things that are marked up to chance....but it doesn't matter WHO or WHAT situation brings the change in the natural, what we see with our eyes. I take Madiba's (Nelson Mandela) words one step farther -- THIS is a GOD calculation!!

He knows what He is doing....so watch out South Africa!! And, look out world.....the tides are shifting.....we are excited for what is coming!!

KE NAKO -- It's Time!!

Ayoba!


2 comments:

Beverly Brumbley said... Best Blogger Tips

Powerful piece, Lyns! Very, very good!!!

Beverly Brumbley said... Best Blogger Tips

Powerful piece, Lyns! Very, very good!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails