Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Surprises and Climbing through Windows


"SURPRISE!"

It is hard to put into words the emotions that ONE word provokes.

The widening of the eyes. The shock in the faces. The elation of the moment. The joy in the realization that you've been had or received JUST what you really & maybe even secretly wanted.

I love to surprise people. But I am not often surprised myself. I think that is because my mind is ALWAYS looking for loop holes, angles, glances, innuendos, etc. I can usually see through people's stories or false pretenses.

But my ability to be surprised is not the topic today, so moving on......

I was on a break from college, and I usually traveled to see friends and share in their home life experiences. This break, however, I really wanted to "come home." My parents were in Haiti, but I wanted to see friends, aunts, grandparents, etc.

So, I am not sure exactly HOW or WHO cooked up the idea first, but my cousin and childhood best friend, Wendy, and I decided we would surprise everyone and she would help me.

Now, in order to pull this off she would have to drive 2 hours to the city without her parents - my aunt & uncle - knowing. Oh yeah, and we were just 18/19, so driving to the city without parental notice wasn't the "norm" at that point in our lives.

But we did it and had the time of our lives, driving back and planning our "moment" of surprise.

Since we arrived late at night, we decided that our surprise would be more "exciting" the next morning, so Wendy went into the house and opened her bedroom window for me. I climbed in, feeling very sneaky, and went to sleep. Believe it or not, it was my first window crawl...and the verdict...quite fun!

The next morning, I could hear my aunt in the other room busy around the house, cleaning & cooking. We quietly, or maybe not so quietly, giggled at the idea of someone being in my aunt's house without her knowing it.

So Wendy went out to talk to her, say good morning, and give her some crazy story about why my aunt should go into her room and get something for her.

I am lying in wait....or in bed... {symantics!} :)

Aunt Bonnie walked around the corner, fussing at Wendy about something or another, and then I yell, "SURPRISE!" and jump up out from under the covers.

"LINDSEY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? YOU ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK!!"

Oh yeah....I live for those moments! :)



Joining up with Mama Kat's Workshop on a time that I had to crawl through a window

6 comments:

Jen said... Best Blogger Tips

Ha!  Love it!  I think I would about have a heart attack, too!

aunt Bonnie said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes, I nearly did have a heart attack.   That's not the only story of Wendy and Lindsey surprising us.

Deidra said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my word! How wonderful! And how terrifying for your Aunt! (I love it that she responded in the comments.) Sounds like you and Wendy are quite the dynamic duo!

Paulette Watson said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this story! It's one of those great spontaneous moments that may not be fun to all in the moment but later is a fun story to tell.

Carole said... Best Blogger Tips

I can see your Aunt Bonnie.  Oh, and, the apple does not fall far from the tree !!  You and your mom were cut from the same mold...well almost..lol!

Mommy's Paradise . said... Best Blogger Tips

Your poor aunt Bonnie. Did she actually jump when she saw you? I would have. It's so cool she read this and wrote a comment. What a sport.

Related Posts with Thumbnails