Monday, January 14, 2013

Underdogs, Community, and FREE (in)RL :: How to do life better...together!!

My great-grandmother had a saying she used to say, "Nitwits and N*&%* always like me."

It was a different time back then, and while today we might say black or people of color, her heart was in the right place. Truly. Because basically, the underdogs of society (at that time) were always drawn to her. The same could be said of my mother and her sisters, and now of my sister and I as well as many of our cousins. I'd like to think that just as freckles, boisterous laughter, being-the-loudest-cheerleaders-in-the-stands as well as strong-willed and stubborn women is obvious in all of us, so is the penchant for compassion for the least of these.

The same could be said of The Bailey family......you know.....on It's a Wonderful Life.

George's, our main character's, father ran the Building and Loan in Bedford Falls. Peter Bailey was, admittedly, not a very good business man. He was not even able to save enough money to send his two sons, George and Harry, to college. So, Henry Potter, the villian of our story, and the man who basically ran the whole town EXCEPT for the Building & Loan was calling Peter Bailey "a failure" and "a starry-eyed dreamer" before he was barely cold in his grave.

George just lost it! He knew his father's weaknesses, but he also knew his strengths.
"He didn't save enough money to send Harry to school, let alone me. But he did help a few people get out of your slums, Mr. Potter. And what's wrong with that?  Just remember this, Mr. Potter, that this rabble you're talking about...they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath? Anyway, my father didn't think so...."
George went on to become the man his father was and MORE. In spite of his own lofty dreams, he stayed in Bedford Falls, got married, had a family, and helped more and more families get out of the "projects" and own their own place. George was even known to GIVE money away to friends in need, even when he did not have it.

I feel so challenged by the Bailey family, and even by the heritage in my own family. I wonder if I can look at all of humanity and be so generous, not just with money, but with my heart, my time, my life??Can I REALLY love not only with those who "appear to be the underdogs" but also with those who cover it well, who push people away, who are not easy to love??

I am working on that.
Or I should say, HE is working on me.
And being in community, being sharpened by others definitely helps me with that.

I have learned a lot about community in the past two years. I have learned that it comes where you least expect it and sometimes you must embrace the community you are given.

The place...and people...that have challenged my thinking about community the most lately are the beautiful women over at (in)courage. Not only did they start online community groups called (in)courager groups, but they also held a conference called (in)RL meaning (in) REAL LIFE where women across the globe, literally tuned in together in real life meet ups with women in their home towns. This is taking in one mind and one accord to a WHOLE new level!


Well guess what? You can be a part of (in)RL 2013 this year FOR FREE!!  Yay! Just click over here for more details! Please check it out! You won't be sorry! I promise! Oh...and did I mention, that you get some FREE gifts if you sign up TODAY! WaHOO!! Even more loveliness, right??

"Think of it as a FREE girl’s weekend away that doesn’t require packing or plane tickets, where women can kick off any expectation of perfect, set aside their fears, their shyness, their worry that they’re not good enough, and find some of Jesus’ words of rest woven into every video shared."

(If you are reading in an e-mail or RSS fee, please click here to see the (in)RL trailer.)

  


My ALL-TIME favorite Christmas movie hands-down is It's a Wonderful Life. Jimmy Stewart's rendition of George Bailey and the subsequent characters his life impacts tug at my heart strings every time. I am always reminded what a powerful force each of us can be in the lives of others.

So every Monday in 2013, I am sharing from Bob Welch's book, 52 Little Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life, in a short, encouraging post, a new principle to focus on and be encouraged by for that week. Hopefully you {and I!} will both be inspired that it REALLY is a wonderful life as our faith in God and how we live that out is challenged.





1 comments:

Karrilee Aggett said... Best Blogger Tips

Love this. (especially because I just signed up to host a meet up... and was feeling a little shakey about that impulsive decision! LOL!) It was a timely word to remind me that my OneWord is Surprise... and my God-Sized Dream is to create community... so how could I not, really? Hope you are feeling better sweet friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails