Friday, May 27, 2011

Five Minute Friday: I Don't Want to Forget

I'm up late {as usual} so I decided to check for Lisa-Jo's Five Minute Friday prompt/post. I usually see it on Thursday night/Friday wee a.m., but I always let it marinate until the next day....usually later into Friday afternoon and evening, and then I write on whatever topic she has shot out to us for the week.

But tonight....I am just going to go for it....tired brain and body and all. Let's see what 5 minutes right now will bring. The ironic thing in my decision is the topic....

On Forgetting...{smile...NOT forgetting isn't as easy when you are tired, right? Oh well! Here goes!!!}

GO.

Remembering has always been important to me.

As a child, I wanted to count the days until I would see my extended family again. I didn't want to forget how much time had lapsed or how much time was left to wait. I would keep track of when I wrote which friend and family member on a little chart I developed as well as when they would write me back. I didn't want to forget when I wrote them or who I wrote.

I loved the database program that I worked with the past 8 years at both churches that I worked at because I could keep track of my conversations with members & disciples so that when I talked to them again, especially those I didn't know as well or whose faces I had never seen, I could remember and ask, "How did your knee surgery go?" or "Your little boy must be about 5 months old now." I wanted to remember.

Now, I take pictures....almost obsessively....I want to remember. I want to remember my grandmother's laugh, my mother's hands, my husband's eyes. I want to remember the day at the beach, the way she looked on her wedding day, the moment just before we all burst into laughter.

I love the details. I love the knowing each other. I love living life TOGETHER.

I don't want to forget.

STOP.




Won't you join me and link up your 5 minutes??

21 comments:

All My Monkeys said... Best Blogger Tips

My eye doctor did that. I appreciated it. It made me feel like "I" was important, not just my eye exam. It's nice that you want to document that kind of personal information. Because, well, it's person-al. :D Nice post.

Loni said... Best Blogger Tips

Treasuring things in our hearts like Mary did of Jesus . . .so thankful for camera's too!

Enjoyed reading!

Tonya said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post!! Remembering the details...it's what makes life grand! It's great that you try to remember the details for other's lives as well. :)

Theresa Miller said... Best Blogger Tips

I think pictures, writing {and spreadsheets!} are a great way to capture memories and to help remember the details of life!

Hilary said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the idea of remembering when others wrote to you, and when you wrote back... I should try it! Thank you for sharing with us - I love how you treasure people in your life. It's inspiring!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow...so many good posts today! Yours tugged my heart...especially "I want to remember my grandma's smile."
Me too...so Thursday when I go with her to the cardiologist, I will bring my camera!
Thank you love.
Andrea

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Lindsey my BloggyLand friend! I appreciated your warm welcome back to Five MInute Friday on my blog and your words of encouragement today! Then I came here and was further encouraged by your love for the people around you. I'm inspired too, to try and do a better job of holding on to details.

Bless you!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I love pictures for this very reason! I try to make association of things I want to remember with where we were or what we were wearing to remember. I think it's so important to remember things.

Jenn said... Best Blogger Tips

I love pictures for this very reason! I try to make association of things I want to remember with where we were or what we were wearing to remember. I think it's so important to remember things.

Hilary said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the idea of remembering when others wrote to you, and when you wrote back... I should try it! Thank you for sharing with us - I love how you treasure people in your life. It's inspiring!

Farmer's Wyfe said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post!! Remembering the details...it's what makes life grand! It's great that you try to remember the details for other's lives as well. :)

CarolineFlory said... Best Blogger Tips

I bet it's so encouraging to others when you've remembering something about your last conversation with them and can follow up on it. What a gift!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

That is awesome!  I love when my doctors do that!  I like the feeling that I am a person and not just a paycheck to them!

And thanks!  Appreciate you stopping by!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

I like that comparison to Mary with Jesus!  Precious visual!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks!  I love when people do that for me -- pay attention to the details!  It makes me feel valued and special!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

AGREED!  I have enjoyed starting my blog in the past year as well as rediscovering my love for photography!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks!  LOL!  I was QUITE "anal" about it as a kid/teenager.  It was like a little handwritten spreadsheet...so funny!  But it worked for me, and it helped me to keep track and feel connected to family and friends far away as an MK.

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

Awww...so glad something I said could inspire you to capture your moments/loved ones too!  I love that!  Would love to see one of your grandma when you get it this week!  Will you post it on your blog?

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes!  I always love coming across you in this blog world!  I love to picture you, your hubby, and your precious girls living in England, and I always wonder how you are doing and how you are adjusting!  I know living away from family can be challenging!

Thanks for stopping by and for the encouragement!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

YES!  Me too!  I like appreciating the little things...makes life have more value for me!

lindseyfoj said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Caroline!  Definitely helped to have the database to write things down.  I am afraid I haven't been as diligent the past few months! :(

I really appreciate you stopping by and for your help in turning me on to the Disqus/Blogger marriage! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails